1. Be accountable. When you reach a certain age all the decisions you make or circumstances you are in, good or bad, are on you. There is no room for pointing the finger. Adults own their decisions. Accept your choices, stop beating yourself up and start taking strides to make things better.
2. Learn how to forgive. Shit happens! Don’t dwell on all the things that have happened to you. Life is too short to hold on to negativity and the past. Forgiveness is for your piece of mind, so leave the baggage at the door! Just let it go and move on.
3. Know your worth. If a person truly loves you and wants to be with you they will commit. There are no if, ands or buts about it. No person is too busy, too career driven or too emotionally unavailable for a someone they love. If a person loves you they will show you. If they say, “I love you, but…,” they don’t. So keep your love for someone who loves you back.
4. Be clean and well-groomed at all times. Good hygiene and grooming goes a long way. Sometimes the hustle and bustle of life may get in the way of the little things like brushing your hair before you run out. Maintaining a clean and manicured body is imperative. You should always take pride in your appearance.
5. Wear dress shoes once in a while. Whether you’re a man and or a women, there is something about dress shoes (specifically heels for women) that gives and projects confidence.
6. Take care of yourself. Make an effort to eat well and exercise and visit the doctor/dentist once or twice a year. Time and health are two of the most important things you have, don’t throw them away.
7. Be generous. It’s better to give than receive and you are too old to have your hand out. Real grownups spoil the ones they love. Treat your best friend to their favorite album or take your parents to dinner. Spot a colleague for lunch. Giving is a two way street, make someone else feel good and you’ll feel good doing it.
8. Learn. Knowledge is power. A grownup knows that you never stop learning. Read books, surf the net, attend seminars and subscribe to the WSJ. If watching trashy TV and reality shows is your thing, more power to you, but try to squeeze in CNN and the History channel once in a while. Challenge your mind so you’re always in the know.
9. Drink wine. That’s all.
10. Finally, don’t compromise. Integrity is scarce. We all have values, ethics and beliefs that we live by. Sometimes those beliefs are asked to be compromised by our friends, boss and even our mate. A true grownup holds their ground and stands strong. Don’t let anyone infiltrate the morale, which you’ve built.
*Disclaimer: #9 is optional…and only if you’re 21 and older. ; )